May 20, 2020

[INTERVIEW] Sports Chosun - May 2020 (Sujeong)


Lovelyz's Ryu Sujeong introduced her solo debut.

Ryu Sujeong is unveiling her first solo album 'Tiger Eyes' on the 20th. The title song 'Tiger Eyes' is the work of the lyricist of Lovelyz's representative song, 'Ah-Choo'. It's a song that likens the charming eyes of the person she likes to that of a tiger's, its sensual lyrics describe by the cold and languid move of a beast falling in love deeply while baring its teeth are impressive. Ryu Sujeong explained that this song is a 'charm charged song'.

"'Tiger Eyes' is a song which focuses on my voice. If I think of my own strength, I think of my voice. It's a song that emphasizes my voice by maximizing it. When I listen to this song, I'm captivated by myself, so it's a song that charges up my confidence."


Ryu Sujeong is determined to open a new chapter in the solo market with her voice that she says is her forte.

"I practiced a lot with pop songs like 'Tiger Eyes' which had obvious colors and could make use of my voice, and I liked songs like that. I think [songs like that] can focus on my voice. My voice is husky, releases a lot of air and is hoarse. Seeing that, I think a song like this can emphasize it more charmingly. But I'm the type to have a tone, so I think my uniqueness is that I can do various genres."

Beside this, the album contains 7 songs. It starts with the intro 'Be Cautious', 'CALL BACK' where Ryu Sujeong's emotional vocal shines, standing out with acoustic in 'Your Name', filled with spring vibe and concerns about love in '42=', 'NA, NI' by Choi Nakta, and Ryu Sujeong's first self-composed song 'Lullaby (zz)'.


"There are various genres in the album. I like indie songs. My agency knows that and I received a song by Choi Nakta-nim. It was my first time another singer gave me a song. It was an honor. He was there during the recording too and I directed me. The nuance was well-emphasized, so I had fun recording it. The song is girly and the lyrics are also cute. It's like a song specially made for me. Also, there are various genres in the album such as the traditional ballad, a song that is like Lovelyz, etc. so I'm happy. My self-composed song is a song that I wrote 4 years ago, and it's being played for the first time. The lyrics are about cutely grumbling because you want to be with the person you love for a bit longer. It's a calm and lovely song, so I thought it wouldn't be included in 'Tiger Eyes' b-side, but it has a dreamy vibe, so it was included in. All 7 songs is filled with my voice so I feel amazing, proud, and it quenched my thirst. It was interesting."


Ryu Sujeong said, "I'm going to promote my official solo with 'Tiger Eyes'. In May~June, BOL4, TWICE, BLACKPINK, etc., all these big singers are coming back, so it's going to be a fierce comeback war. I'm doing it alone, so the nervousness and excitement have doubled for me.

"There are many teams who are coming back, so I'm nervous and worried as well. I think it's impossible for me to suddenly get #1 place as it is my first solo. My goal is for people to think, "Ryu Sujeong can do [a song] like this and I'm looking forward and know she can do various things in the future."


"I'm promoting as a soloist with a song that is intense and has a different charm that fits the title. When I first heard the song, the impact was very strong so it was a pressure for me. But as I was preparing for it, I was preparing a new thing, so I had fun preparing it. To showcase a different color than Lovelyz, I pay attention to my expressions and my voice a lot while recording. I sang a lot with languid and scratchy-voice that I didn't use a lot in Lovelyz. I do a lot of movement and expression that emphasize a tiger's gaze to match 'Tiger Eyes'. I always practice with the lights on brightly in the practice room, but I turn off the lights to practice where I can only see my silhouette, and the teacher also helped me a lot so my gaze can come out well. She said, "Get drunk in you and practice." I worried a lot when I was filming the music video too. It was my first time doing a lot of walking on camera and the set was something that absolutely can't be seen when I film a Lovelyz music video. But when I monitored myself, I think [the feeling] was reflected well, so I felt good."


Ryu Sujeong is determined to express her gratitude towards her agency (Woollim Entertainment) for discovering her new charms. 'Charm' 'Allure' 'Enchant' are the keywords that Ryu Sujeong showcases through 'Tiger Eyes'.

"I think the CEO saw a new side of me. It was a concept that I wondered whether I would be able to pull off, but the CEO led me well so I did it. I'd like to showcase and let you listen to various concepts as a soloist in the future as well. It's one of my beginnings. Rather than removing Lovelyz's color, I think it supported the possibility. It's a song that focuses a lot on the vocal. It's a charming concept where I want to appeal through my voice too."


The recording started 6 months ago, but it wasn't easy to debut as a solo.

"When Lovelyz records, we divide the parts among 8 people, so I wasn't tired. But since I sing the whole song by myself, it was pretty exhausting. It was a bit hard to divide my stamina. Second, I thought that the voice of Ryu Sujeong in Lovelyz's album and Ryu Sujeong's voice in her solo album are a bit different. It's a bit deeper and there's a lot of new singing method, so it was a little difficult, but had fun and wrapped it up well. The team color of Lovelyz is certain, so Lovelyz's Ryu Sujeong works hard to maximize that color. However, as soloist Ryu Sujeong, she doesn't want to be confined to that concept. I want to keep letting you hear the music and concept that can be absorbed by Ryu Sujeong's voice."


Even in the midst of difficulties, her source of strength is, of course, the support from her Lovelyz members and fans.

"The members congratulated me a lot. At first they were surprised because it's a concept that I would show for the first time after debuting with Lovelyz. They told me that they didn't know I could do something like that, they said they were proud of me after watching the process of album preparation, and many told me that I did well even though it would've been hard to do it alone. All 8 of us hung out together, but Kei-unnie was the only one who had a solo before and she said she felt lonely during the ending [stage]. It's something that I wouldn't even be able to imagine as well. All 8 of us went together and joked around together, so to say that it would be lonely, I think I will have to brace myself. Jisoo-unnie said she will definite do a cover later. She said she will even put on a tiger makeup, but I stopped her. I just asked her to cover the song. Many of my fans said that they were hoping for me to release a guitar song as a solo, so I was worried whether they wouldn't like [Tiger Eyes]. Fortunately, they were curious of it and said that it suits me and that they will be supporting me. I received strength as well, so I picked 'Tiger Eyes' and wish to show you the stage. I hope I can show the gaze of a tiger as the key point."


Lovelyz's official 'Uncle Fan' No Brain and junior groups became a strong support for her.

"I talked a lot with No Brain's Hwang Hyunseong-sunbaenim about music while writing my song. I had a lot of concerns about how I should absorb 'Tiger Eyes', how to do as a soloist, and I cherish sunbaenim and Lovelyz very much, so they've been a great help. Lee Sungwoo-sunbaenim also said he will make sure to promote it, review the album and support it. I'm always thankful. Rocket Punch also came and said they were looking forward to it so it gave me a lot of strength."

Before we knew it, Ryu Sujeong has become a member of a middle-aged girl group after 6 years.

"When we first debuted, we were total rookies and the next thing we knew, we had Golden Child and Rocket Punch. It still feels like I had only debuted for 1~2 years but I've already become a 5~6 years old senior. I feel more sense of responsibility as a senior to want to show a better image."


Ryu Sujeong is promoting officially as a solo with 'Tiger Eyes'.

"The announcement for the phone fansign is out. An overseas event is also planned and I'm getting ready to meet everyone often with contents. I don't know about greed, but I want to showcase various sides of me. While preparing for the 'Tiger Eyes' stage, I tried a lot to become a tiger. I'm confident and I'll do my best on stage. I hope you can view that side of me prettily. I also want to do a daring, coy, or mischievous concept again. If the opportunity arises, I also want to have a solo concert."

(Source: 1, 2)
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter - @geulyz

Watch "Obliviate" MV

Search

BACK TO TOP

Popular Posts

Archive

Affiliations

HTML tutorial

Blog Stats

Established: September 14, 2016
Online:
Hits: (since 02/16/17)
Powered by Blogger.