Feb 10, 2019

[INTERVIEW] Sports Chosun - January 2019


Girl group Lovelyz is going to meet us with a very special performance.

Lovelyz will hold their 4-day <2019 Lovelyz in Winterland 3> concert at the Yonsei University auditorium from February 14th to 17th. This is the third installment of their 'Lovelyz in Winterland' concert series which started in 2017.

Yoo Jiae: It's already our third concert in winter. Thank you to Lovelinus and the Woollim staff that have made us able to say "Our third concert!"
Seo Jisoo: I'm really, really happy to spend three winters with Lovelinus until now! I hope we can have a happy winter with this concert too.

For girl groups, having a continuous concert series for 3 times, and also the 4th concert, is easier said than done. However, Lovelyz's pre-sale tickets for the February 14th concert was sold out in just a minute, and the additional show for February 16 also set a record for selling out in a minute, proving the many attention they got.

Lee Mijoo: Every time we do a concert, we perform with a band, so I think it's a concert where our fans can enjoy because the atmosphere of the concert became hotter.
Jeong Yein: I always feel thankful that we can be a group that can hold a concert every year like this. I would say that the strength of Lovelyz's performance is the many b-sides which have different feels than the title songs that the public knows.

The reason why Lovelyz's shows was able to gain popularity is obvious. First of all, the quality of their music is good. Lovelyz release albums that bring together authentic concept and popular appeal with their Girl Trilogy ('Candy Jelly Love', 'Hi~', 'Ah-Choo'), Love Trilogy ('Destiny', 'WoW!', 'Now, We'), etc. while building a solid fandom. With this, Lovelyz don't do cover songs like other girl groups and instead, they have the power to make a repertoire with songs from their own albums. Each of the members' colors are different, yet the fact that they all have outstanding vocal skills became a plus factor. Because of this, Lovelyz decorate their stage with their exceptional—among girl groups—live session and are able to create a stage that you 'can see, hear and enjoy.' Lovelyz's shows are able to receive love from people over the age of 30 in a fanbase where it mainly has people in their 10s and 20s. The members also had strong confidence in their performance.


Jeong Yein: A point that differentiates us is that we perform with all live band, so you can feel the different charm of our music. So, I think we heighten the anticipation for our concert every year because fans can keep finding the music that is unique to us.
Kei: With Lovelyz's album, you can't miss any song, even the b-sides, so I want to sing every good song of ours.
JIN: Lovelyz have a lot of songs with various emotions. I don't think we can showcase those songs outside of the concert stage, so as much as we can show them, we will try to perform everything.

Yoo Jiae: We're with the band, so I think the effect is great. Certainly, if we're with the band, I think it's a different way to reach out to people who hear.
Seo Jisoo: Teacher Yoonsang's songs have that feeling of your old unrequited love and first love, so there are many people who told us that they like us because we reminded them of their first love when they look at us.

Lovelyz are practicing hard for their 3rd winter concert. Of course, they will showcase their show and songs with all live band, and the members are determined that they would meet 200% of their fans' expectation by preparing for special stages where each of their personality is revealed.

Kei: I think you will be able to enjoy our lively stage because we'll be doing the concert with the all live band. We'l make it a happy day where we'll be one with the audience.
JIN: The members will also have solo stages! It will be the second time that we show solo stages. There will be a lot of solo stages where each of our charm will stand out, so you can look forward to it. (Laughs)


Lovelyz is already in their 5th year, making them a middle-aged group.

Lovelyz debuted with their debut album 'Girls' Invasion' in 2014, and they were active in releasing hit songs like 'Ah-Choo', 'Destiny', 'Now, We', etc. Fans, and even the members, seem surprised to see that these girls, who only looked young before, have become a middle-aged group in the music industry.

Lee Mijoo: We're 5 years old, but it feels like it hasn't even been 2 years [since our debut]. We have a lot more to show and a lot of things we want to do, so I hope you'll give Lovelyz more interest and love.
Jeong Yein: I can't believe that time goes by so fast that it's already our 5th year, and in the future as well, I wish to receive love and stand in front of our fans with our cooler image, as much as the love that we've been constantly receiving for 5 years!

Then, when they look back at the past 5 years, how much achievement or satisfaction do the members feel? And how would they evaluate where they are right now?

Yoo Jiae: When we go to music shows, the waiting rooms are mostly written in order by debut days, and recently, we've been placed in the front, so I thought, "Ah.. so we're seniors." I didn't really think of the order.
Seo Jisoo: I'm not satisfied now and I want to improve more and more.

Truthfully, Lovelyz is a team who's consistently gotten good results without any major ups and downs. After the strong memory of 'Ah-Choo', they've constantly gotten in the music charts and settled on the higher ranks, displaying their 'strong singer' side. In particular, their teamwork with Yoonsang are receiving very good reviews.

Babysoul: I think that's because Lovelyz's unique emotions go well together with Yoonsang PD-nim. We'd like to work with many more people and also Yoonsang PD-nim for various colors in the future as well.
Ryu Sujeong: We've been continuously working with the 1Piece team that is affiliated with Yoonsang-PD, and also the composers from 1Piece, and the title song this time is from the composer who has been with us since our debut, so I think that's why our fans like it.


Have they ever been in a slump?

JIN: We still haven't won #1 on public network. I was happy just freely showcasing the various colors of our music to a lot of people without a care about the results, but I felt the attention of those people who didn't think like that, so I think I was in a slump for awhile. However, I have my Lovelinus who like our music and always support our group, so the slump has gone away. 
Kei: The 'stage' is our driving force to do promotion~ When we go on stage, I think we get more motivated and find our passion more.

Once they've become a middle-aged group, it's time for Lovelyz to need a new turning point. Fortunately, this team has more strength than flaw. All the members have outstanding vocal skills, and Ryu Sujeong and Babysoul have been acknowledged for their composing or rap making skills. Considering that they've been focusing on their team promotion, the members haven't properly promoted individually, so there's plenty of opportunity to showcase their individual skills and personalities.

Asked about the likelihood of being a 'self producing idol', Babysoul said, "I think about that a lot. There's no real plan about it, but that's also a direction that I'd like to pursue. I usually hear it when I'm making my own song. I want more people to hear it and I think they're simple songs at the moment, but I want to try and amplify them."
Ryu Sujeong: I like writing lyrics and composing songs, so I'm trying them out by myself. If there's a chance, I want to participate [in production].

About a field they want to try as an individual promotion, Yoo Jiae said, "I like to talk and listen, so I want to become a radio DJ too, and if there's an opportunity, I want to try acting as well."
Seo Jisoo: I also want to act if there's a chance. I still haven't had a formal lesson, but I'd like to try acting after learning step by step in the future.

Lovelyz has recently been promoting their follow-up song 'Rewind'. They're holding their solo show '2019 Lovelyz Concert <Lovelyz in Winterland 3>' at Yonsei University auditorium for 4 days, from February 14th-17th.

Babysoul: 'Rewind' is a song that I personally like. I'm happy that we can show it through a performance like this, and we had fun promoting it. I hope it can become a comfort to lots of people.
Ryu Sujeong: Many fans said that their favorite song in this album is 'Rewind', so I was proud and happy that we promoted it for 2 weeks.

There are plans to meet their fans with more quick promotions.

Babysoul: I want to try more new things in 2019 as Lovelyz and, of course, as Babysoul, and I want to have experience. I want to try new things that I won't do just once. We have various plans this year, but we have a concert coming up, so we plan to safely and perfectly wrap up the concert.


In one word, Lovelyz is a team where 8 cute, lovely, dreamy and charming girls gather.

They're more natural than artificial, they're cute, you can feel their innocent vibe, and when the members are together, you can get a sense of their beagle liveliness. I asked them very detailed questions. The thing I was most curious about was whether they had cellphones, because they didn't have phones up until 2017, and they said they didn't know of the world.

Lee Mijoo: We received our phones at the time when we had our long-awaited #1 with 'Now, We'.
Jeong Yein: We first got our phones after the promotion for our 2nd repackaged album's title song 'Now, We'. It was even happier because we received our phones after our first #1.

As everyone knows, Lovelyz is the first girl group launched by Woollim Entertainment. Woollim Entertainment had been the house for boy group Infinite, so they received a lot of attention for launching their first girl group. What is Woollim Entertainment to Lovelyz, who grew up well in the spotlight?

Babysoul: Staff that I'm thankful for?!
Yoo Jiae: If 'Lovelyz in Winterland' was a village, shouldn't 'Woollim' be a city? Then we'll become the "capital". (Laughs) Like, if there was no Woollim, there wouldn't be Lovelyz!


At any rate, in the past or right now, the most precious existence to Lovelyz is Lovelinus. The members know that if there hadn't been the fans who take care of them by their side from their debut until now for 5 years, unchanging, while giving them their unending love and support, the current Lovelyz wouldn't have been able to exist. That is why they show their gratitude and apology with 'everything ends with their love for their fans'.

Babysoul: Thank you for always being by our side! We'll also become the bright light by your side that always protects you.
Yoo Jiae: Lovelinus~ First of all, Happy New Year! Let's create a year without regrets where we understand, forgive, and happy with each other! Also, you know that we make the concert together, right? Fighting! Thank you always.

Seo Jisoo: Let's be with Lovelyz happily this winter too.
Ryu Sujeong: Thank you for supporting us a lot during the two-months promotion. (Laughs) I'll be the Sujeongie and Lovelyz that is always lovely and that Lovelinus can be proud of, so let's make good memories together in the future too.

What goals does Lovelyz have in the future?

Lee Mijoo: I want to become a role model for many people. I want to show Lovelyz's many charms.
Kei: I want Lovelyz to become 'Love-dol' that receives and can give more love from now on! We will color the whole world with love.
JIN: [To become] a long-running group. I think one of our goals as a group is to sing good songs by Lovelinus' side.
Jeong Yein: I hope Lovelyz will become a long-running group that do music that is unique to us like now—continuously and slowly. My goal is for all 8 members to not get hurt and have fun promoting like now!

Source: 1, 2, 3
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter - @geulyz

Watch "Obliviate" MV

Search

BACK TO TOP

Popular Posts

Archive

Affiliations

HTML tutorial

Blog Stats

Established: September 14, 2016
Online:
Hits: (since 02/16/17)
Powered by Blogger.