Oct 8, 2019

[INTERVIEW] 10Asia - October 2019 (Kei)



Kei (Kim Jiyeon) who said that she was concentrating only on the song that she does the best through her first solo album.




Kei of Lovelyz released her first solo album ‘Over and Over’on the 8th at 6 PM after debuting in 2014. She is the first Lovelyz member to go solo (post-debut). Kei will promote solo as ‘Kei (Kim Jiyeon)’ to show her as the solo singer Kim Jiyeon and Lovelyz's main vocalist.

Her title track is ‘I Go’. It's a song dreaming about a hopeful future with the lyrics ‘Gather the lights and I've come closer to you’. Kei (Kim Jiyeon) made changes to her singing style to emphasize the strength of her voice, where you can feel it even in her beautiful voice. We met with Kei (Kim Jiyeon), who said that she wants to instill expectations through this album at a cafe in Seongsan-dong, Seoul, in the afternoon of the 8th.


10. ‘Over and Over’ is your first solo album, so I think the feeling is different.

Releasing a solo album has always been my dream. I think I dream about it every day. It still hasn't dawned on me and it feels like I've been relieved of my sorrows for 5 years. I usually tend to lack confidence, but my members said, "Jiyeonie, if it's you, you can do it," and they gave me a lot of encouragements. My affection for Lovelyz has grown so big. (Laughs) I'm happy because I can feel a lot of love in this album.

10. How did you decide to use your real name Kim Jiyeon together with Kei?

Kei is the name I'm known for, so I was wondering if coming out with the name Kei would be good or not. I worried about that a lot with the CEO (Lee Jungyeop). He said that he was hoping that the world knows that Kim Jiyeon is me, so I became more assured and I ended up using my real name. However, I don't want to miss "Lovelyz's Kei" as well, so I use it too. People will slowly assimilate with Kim Jiyeon. (Laughs)

10. What do you think about being the first Lovelyz member to go solo?

I think I've showed a bit of possibility of a solo through my OST participation or collaborations. I understand that even among fans, the expectation for my solo is high. I sew the first button so I hope the other members can have opportunities as well. My members are all too good to be buried. Haha.

10. You garnered issue with your first attempt at going blonde.

I'm one of the Lovelyz members who sticks to my image. However, I also want to show a different image this time, so I accepted my company's suggestion. I was really scared to change, but while preparing this solo album, my spirit to challenge became bigger. I was also able to break my fear of adventure.

10. How did you decide on ‘I Go’ as your title track?

As soon as I heard it for the first time, I was sure that it would become the title track and the CEO said that he wanted it to be the title track too. I was confident that I could do that song well. The lyrics and the melody are like a dream that I've always had. I am able to do activities with strength until now thanks to the people around me and also my fans. I want to return that gratitude to the public also, so that was why I chose the song with dreams and hope in it.

10. When it comes to going solo, there's a lot of idols who participate in writing the lyrics and composing as well, but what is your reason for only singing?

I've also tried learning to play a few instruments. But I saw myself being busy following the trend. I felt that I was losing myself. I think again about how I'm the happiest when I'm singing, so I wanted to focus on just singing. I'm a fool who only knows singing. (Laughs) But I feel good and happy.

10. You said that your singing style changed a lot for the title track?

When I'm promoting with Lovelyz, I emphasized on singing in a pretty and fresh way. In my solo album, I tried to give a lot of energy to my voice and to make it sounding more mature. I work hard in taking care of my throat so it'd be fun to see my changed image including my singing style and how I convey my emotions. I tried hard to diet too, even eating only one energy bar in a day.


Kei (Kim Jiyeon) who hoped that a lot of her juniors would dream to be ‘The Second Kei’.



10. You garnered attention for "winning" Mamamoo's Hwasa on Mnet ‘Queendom’. You also gained the nickname ‘Straightforward Kei’.

My personality isn't like that originally. I'm quiet and shy around strangers. (Laughs) But when I work, I am straightforward. I've been a fan of Hwasa's since a long time ago. She's a friend who knows how to perform when she goes on stage, so I tried hard to win her love. (Laughs) Hwasa said to me, “I think if Kei does a face that you haven't tried before like this, we can see it,” and stuff, she coached me a lot. I'm thankful for appearing on ‘Queendom’.

10. What do you want to make come true through this promotion?

Like the terms ‘The Second IU’ ‘The Second BoA’ ‘The Second Taeyeon’, I hope there would also be ‘The Second Kei’. I want to become a unique artist that even a lot of juniors would dream of becoming.

10. What's your plan for the rest of the year?

My goal is to finish the promotion for my first solo album safely. I don't want to stop doing activities. I also want to comeback and promote as Lovelyz for a long time if I can.

Source: 1
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter - @geulyz

Watch "Obliviate" MV

Search

BACK TO TOP

Popular Posts

Archive

Affiliations

HTML tutorial

Blog Stats

Established: September 14, 2016
Online:
Hits: (since 02/16/17)
Powered by Blogger.